Saturday

Thanking a teacher for Ada Lovelace Day

I was reading this:  http://findingada.com/ and it got me thinking about the female teachers I've had over time.

Miss Gunther who insisted I learn to write cursive and not in block capitals all the time.  She also introduced me to the concept of misplaced rhyme, meter, metaphor and that poetry could be a construct and not a free form.  (Misplaced rhyme: The rhyme comes but not at the end of the sentence.  My term I can't think of hers.)

Miss Howe who told me that my poetry was good and encouraged me to keep writing.

Mrs Woods who I gave my very first story poem to.  It was in 1984, I was 9.  I now wish I had it back as I'd love to read it from an adult perspective.  All I can remember is:

"The magician waves his magic wand,
The rabbit appears, the shows begun"

Mrs Hughes, who gave me readers beyond the other kids in the class.  Being an uncoordinated 7 year old, with no social skills unless talking to people 50 years older, and a love of the written word means you get bullied a lot.  Mrs Hughes gave me readers designed for the Grade 6 class.  She also told me about authors that she felt I'd enjoy.  When I had her again in grade 6 she handed me Tolstoy's Anna Karenina and told me to read it.  I learned to wheelbarrow the names I couldn't pronounce but loved that an adult had so much belief in me.  (Something I only felt from one other adult at the time.)

Mrs Karyannis, I owe an apology to.  Not just for spelling her name wrong, as I'm sure I have, but for "dissing" her at a reunion.  Ten years on I realise that this is what alcoholics talk about when they mention their drinking hurting others.  One day I'll be able to say sorry to her and thank her for helping me get sober.

Miss Collins, who gave me a love of science, one of the most valuable gifts I've ever been given.

Miss Padani who taught me that what you read is as important as how much, and that cheap paper back romances aren't Louisa May Alcott, the Bronte sisters or L P Hartley. (I'll forgive her for "The Go Between" one day.  I may never forgive her for Anne Tyler and "The Accidental Tourist."  I thank her for Jessica Anderson's "Tirra Lirra By The River.")  She was also wrong about meter being the most important aspect of poetry... honey, the meter don't matter if the meaning is mush...
 
There were teachers who opened my mind to a thought or concept that I can't remember the names of, there were sadistic physical education teachers who never understood what it was like barely being able to walk without falling over your own feet and getting puffed let alone do a somersault.  There were one's who showed open hearted kindnesses or closed minded disciplines.  They all shaped who I am now.

I am grateful to all of these women.  I would love to know what they are up to now and hope they are all happy...

No comments: