Tuesday

Isobel: 22 April 2008

I walk in to the room, she lies asleep. She's tossing and turning, her face against the toys on the side of the cot. I move her, concerned that she may occlude her mouth and nose and smother herself. I re cover her where she's kicked off the blankets then sit and watch her a while.

She cries a little about being disturbed but is soon asleep again, her favourite teddy clutched under one arm. Is this her nightly protector that wards off the bad dreams that I fear already haunt her?

Who is she? Who was she? I can see images of long dead relatives in her face. Is she my Nana returned to me or the grandmother I never knew? Is she an old soul sent from Orkney along with her name, or a new being designed by the angels to heal and help?

Her eyes are amazing when they are open. The darkness of the colour like the sea on a calm moonless night, navy blue with unknown depths. Strangers comment on her eyes. " So big..." "It's the way the white goes all around..." "So knowledgeable..."

I'd love to know what she dreams, what she thinks... I'd love to know what goes on behind those eyes.

No comments: